Royal Museums Greenwich are seeking a Head of Events to lead their events and new business development across four world-class venues, in order to meet commercial objectives.
- Devise and direct a commercial strategy for Royal Museums Greenwich for venue hire and filming in order to deliver the multi-million £ revenue targets across our venues including National Maritime Museum; Royal Observatory; Peter Harrison Planetarium; Cutty Sark; the Queen’s House; and a programme of temporary exhibitions and events.
- Lead the events team (9 people) – including events sales, operations and a senior events producer – to ensure they deliver the strategy, their revenue targets and the team are developed to their full potential.
- Identify opportunities to increase our revenue or profits whether through introducing new products, developing new clients or new market opportunities.
- Lead the operational delivery of events including corporate events; conference & meetings; weddings; outdoor events/ festivals, public ticketed events (e.g., the Cutty Sark theatre) and internal events (e.g., learning, curatorial or development), ensuring clients receive an outstanding service, profits are maximised and the event complies with all health and safety, legal and conservation requirements for a Scheduled Ancient Monument and Grade I listed heritage site. This involves working closely with other Museum departments and suppliers, and establishing procedures and service level guidelines.
- Work in partnership with key partners to develop new event business opportunities and to promote Greenwich including (but not limited to): Unique Venues of London, UKinbound, London & Partners, Visit Britain and Visit Greenwich.
- Develop new business and excellent long-term relationships with our existing clients including (but not limited to) the event agents, destination management companies, corporates.
- Oversee the procurement and management of a portfolio of accredited suppliers for the event business, such as event catering, floristry, AV and DJ’s ensuring service excellence and that profits are maximised for RMG.
- Lead on the pricing strategy for events and the ticketed attractions (Cutty Sark, Royal Observatory, Planetarium and special exhibitions) and commission levels for sales agents to ensure we achieve our commercial objectives.
- Work collaboratively with the Marketing and Communications departments to develop an effective marketing and PR plan for the corporate event, wedding and ticketed event business. which is on budget, on brand and maximises our return on investment.
- Manage and control expenditure within agreed budgets
- Be an ambassador for the Museum at networking events, exhibitions and trade shows in the UK and overseas; ultimately to secure new business.
- Provide management reports and analysis on the performance of events with clear recommendations and priorities to drive improvements.
- Keep up to date with the competitive environment and corporate event & wedding market trends to ensure our commercial strategy is innovative and current.
- Manage an event management system, driving through systems improvements, delivering best practice, working closely with the IT department.
- Play an active role as a key part of the Royal Museums Greenwich Senior Management Team.
Skills and Experience
- Substantial events experience gained in a similar unique venue. Experience of working in a historic listed venue would be advantageous but not essential.
- A highly commercial operator with experience of closing sales, winning new business and contract negotiation.
- A proven track record in developing new income streams and achieving multi-million £ revenue targets.
- Strong leadership experience including experience of managing teams to deliver outstanding results, budgets, change and project management.
- Experience of delivering outstanding events to an outstanding standard for demanding clientele.
- Likely to be educated to degree level. Qualifications in Event Management or Business would be useful, although not essential, since experience and personality are more key to this role.
- You will make a positive first impression and will have excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills, with the ability to form positive relationships with a wide variety of people and to ‘sell’ the benefits of the Museum to potential partners.
- Strong leadership qualities, with the ability to inspire, encourage creativity and professionalism, and deliver excellence.
- You will possess commercial acumen and be numerate and entrepreneurial, able to understand the bottom line and how to drive profit.
- A proactive approach, with a high level of determination and drive, and the ability to plan, prioritise and problem solve.
- IT literate including Microsoft Office.
- A full and clean driving license is required, as well as a full passport with the right to travel to the USA and Europe.
The post holder will work a 36 hour week, core hours Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm, with an additional hour to be worked in agreement with line management. Regular evening and weekend work will also be necessary. Some travel within the UK and overseas to attend meetings and trade shows.
About Royal Museums: Visit Royal Museums Greenwich, home of the Royal Observatory, Cutty Sark, the National Maritime Museum and the Queen’s House. A top 10 UK visitor attraction, Royal Museums Greenwich is the perfect place for your customers to discover sea and space exploration, British heritage and royal history; art and pioneering architecture.Our Travel Trade team are available to create itineraries for your customers and can assist with group bookings, catering and guided tours.