Dover District Council (White Cliffs Country) is looking to recruit a creative, motivated and results-focused Visitor Projects & Development Officer to actively support and participate in the fulfilment of new ‘visitor-focused’ opportunities for economic, physical, social and cultural growth in Dover District for the benefit of visitors, businesses and residents.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting, coordinating, researching, reporting on and delivering a variety of short- and long-term tourism and visitor projects as directed by the line manager.
- Working and supporting volunteer agencies and groups to ensure events and projects are adequately resourced with capable volunteers and greeters including large events like The 149th Open.
- Ensuring that the website is fully search engine optimised.
- Working confidently in collaboration and partnership to create and develop new and quality signature festivals, cultural activities, civic functions and events across the District, which meet the aims and strategic objectives on a local and national level.
- Working with the Visitor Marketing & Communications Officer to ensure that the Council’s ‘What’s On’ website pages are clearly communicated to the public and reflect the tourism and visitor offering.
- Researching and applying for grants, funding and sponsorship opportunities to support events and festivals, and the local economy.
- Identifying and researching funding streams and opportunities for Tourism/Visitor projects and events, and communicating these to the line manager.
- Developing positive work relationships with funding partners and industry and establishing as a point of contact.
- Working closely with other Dover District Council officers to identify and exploit opportunities to enhance and promote the unique diversity of the District’s tourism and events offer. To assist and oversee the development of events booking information and on-line events forms on the Council website.
- Facilitating and embracing change within the Department, as required, in order to allow it to evolve and progress in order to achieve its full potential; including, but not limited to changes in information systems and new technology.
- Attending relevant meetings.
- Representing the District Council through membership participation in various professional associations, forums and organisations as required.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a degree level (desirable) and/or tourism project, funding or events related qualification.
- Have proven tourism/visitor projects, funding and events credentials with experience in a business-to-business commercial environment.
- Have a full driving license and access to a vehicle.
- Have proven experience in a related field/role.
- Have excellent organisational, written and verbal communications skills, with confidence to liaise and build effective relationships with external parties and stakeholders.
- Have excellent customer service skills.
- Have good commercial sense with effective negotiating skills.
- Understand the diverse needs of the community and endeavours to tailor the services to meet those needs.
- Be participating in planning the implementation of change initiatives.
- Be able to communicate with a variety of people in a friendly, confident manner and to work well as part of a team.
- Possess the ability to be resourceful and flexible in response to challenges and opportunities.
- Possess a positive attitude; someone who is keen to learn and suggest ideas.
- Be actively keeping themselves up-to-date on relevant changes within the organisation.
How to apply: To apply for the role, please visit Dover District Council’s website and submit the form by 13 March 2020. Please note interviews will be held on 20 March 2020.
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Recruiting Manager Chris Townend by email [email protected] or phone 0130 4872 094.
About Dover District Council (White Cliffs Country): White Cliffs Country is the official brand and tourism organisation for Dover, Deal and Sandwich. Home to the famous White Cliffs of Dover, the district is within easy reach of London and the continent and has amazing history and heritage, unspoilt coastlines and fabulous rolling countryside. With The Open set to return in 2020 to Royal St George’s Golf Club in Sandwich, we have top rated, championship courses right by the coast. We work with industry partners to promote the districts appeal and our experienced team can offer itinerary planning, along with support and inspiration on where to visit in the area. We also work with the travel trade on press trips and assist with arranging itineraries for their visit.