The Environmental Audit Select Committee has launched an inquiry into Sustainable Tourism and is seeking written evidence by 13th Sept 2019.
The Terms of reference for the Inquiry are as follows
- What can the Government do to support a sustainable inbound tourism industry in the UK?
- How should the UK tourism industry balance the need to encourage tourism whilst protecting fragile environments?
- How well is the UK industry managing the impact of tourism in line with its obligations under the sustainable development goals, at home and abroad?
- Should the UK Government take more responsibility for the impacts of outbound tourism, for example waste and resource management, protecting habitats and species and community and cultural impacts?
- How can the Government reach its net zero emissions targets through influencing sustainable travel patterns? Is there a role for offsets in sustainable tourism?
- Where should the balance lie between affordable travel and influencing sustainable travel choices? Are taxes and incentives needed?
- How effective are sustainable tourism practices by large tourism companies such as cruise ship and package holiday operators
You can find out more about the inquiry and how to respond here.