Royal Museums Greenwich to reopen Cutty Sark on 20 July

Cutty Sark
Cutty Sark

Royal Museums Greenwich has announced the reopening of Cutty Sark on 20 July. Its other sites – National Maritime Museum, Queen’s House and Royal Observatory Greenwich – are set to reopen in a phased approach over the summer.

Launched in 1869 from Dumbarton in Scotland, Cutty Sark is the last surviving tea clipper in the world, once carrying cargo ranging from teas to gunpower, whisky to buffalo horns. Cutty Sark made her name as the fastest ship of the era during her time in the wool trade, reaching a record-breaking speed of 17.5 knots (20mph) between London and Sydney.

A number of restrictions will initially be in place on to ensure the safety of visitors and staff. Timed entry tickets must be booked in advance to ensure that visits are spread throughout the day to maintain social distancing, and a one-way system will be in place. Protective screens will be installed at ticketing and retail points, and sanitiser stations will also be available throughout Cutty Sark.

In order to meet hygiene regulations some interactive exhibition will not be accessible and the cafe will not be open initially, although toilet facilities will be available.

Royal Museums Greenwich Director Paddy Rodgers said, “Royal Museums Greenwich are committed to ensuring the health and safety of all visitors and staff. We are delighted to be able to welcome visitors back to Cutty Sark from 20 July and look forward to our sites gradually reopening over the summer.”

For more information and to make a booking please visit the website or email [email protected].