Summary report from VisitBritain on International Passenger Survey Regional data, covering Q1 2023.
- London received just half of visits in Q1 2023 (55%) at 4.2m. These visitors spent a record £3.4bn in Q1, up by 7% vs 2019, contributing to 60% of the total UK spend
- Visits to the rest of England totalled 3.1m visits (down 6% vs 2019). Spend from these visitors accounted for 32% of the total spend, totalling at £1.bn, 32% higher than Q1 2019.
- The North West and East of England saw visits surpass pre-pandemic levels in Q1 2023.
- The most visited English regions of the rest of England were the South East, North West and the East of England.
- Spend set new records in the North East, North West, Yorkshire and East Midlands.
- Visits continued to post strong recovery in Scotland in Q1 2023 at 572,000 visits, up 29% vs 2019. Spend reached £359m, just shy of the 2018 record (up 71% vs Q1 2019).
- Wales received 151,000 inbound visits, down 4% vs Q1 2019 whilst spend totalled at £67m, up 23% vs 2019.