City of London Corporation is currently seeking a Technical Production Manager who will manage the planning and delivery of all technical and production elements of Destination City’s new public events programme.
Destination City is the flagship programme for the City of London Corporation; an initiative that will transform the Square Mile’s leisure offer, creating a leading destination for UK and international visitors, workers, and residents to enjoy. The City will be enlivened with multi artform performances, pop up events, outdoor arts and more, as part of a programme of seasonal activations and major events. Presenting world class artists in both historic buildings and innovative new event spaces across the City.
This role will require extensive experience in delivering large scale, complex events in both indoor and outdoor settings. It would suit someone who has experience as a Technical Manager or Technical Production Manager in a theatre, festival or live events environment.
The Technical Production Manager will manage the negotiations, site planning, scheduling and management of the technical production delivery of a range of Destination City events. The role requires a flexible and dynamic approach to the production process, attending site visits and production/technical meetings; overseeing supplier procurement processes, designing sites, delivering technical requirements and managing a casual team of production staff.
This is a freelance position, which will require full time working for approximately 1 month of the contract term (September), with a flexible part-time approach for the remainder of the contract, in order to facilitate effective planning.
- Plan and deliver all Technical and Production elements for Destination City’s major and seasonal activations programmes, working closely with artistic companies to deliver their requirements.
- Create and manage technical and production budgets for each event.
- Produce technical site plans and interpret those from external companies.
- Recruit, schedule and manage all crew and technical staff.
- Oversee the procurement process for all technical and production equipment, managing suppliers and delivery.
- Produce Risk Assessments and Method Statements for indoor and outdoor events.
- Be the technical point of contact for artists and creatives.
- Be present on site during delivery periods.
- Lead / attend regular site visits and meetings in London in the lead up to events with stakeholders and suppliers. Working closely with the Destination City Events Team to ensure all elements of production are delivered according to best practice.
Key skills & experience:
- Demonstrable experience of full technical and production delivery for complex, large scale events in both and indoor and outdoor settings.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation in regards to live event delivery and experience of implementing requirements.
- IOSH / NEBOSH or similar H&S certificate.
- Proficiency in CAD and ability to interpret complex technical site plans.
- Experience of setting and managing budgets.
- Experience of recruiting and managing technical crew.
- Experience of sourcing and managing suppliers.
*Fee – £17,500 (50 days at a rate of £350 per day) + VAT if applicable. Fee to include travel and subsistence expenses related to the job.
Working days can be flexible, but the following schedule will need to be adhered to:
- 5 days between 15 May and 01 July for an event to be delivered on 01 July
- 22 days between 01 June and 31 Aug for planning a period of delivery throughout Sept
- 20 days event delivery between 01 Sept and 01 Oct (approx. 4 days a week for 5 weeks)
- 3 days wrap up between 02 and 06 Oct
How to apply:
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to Alice Spalding, Major Events Officer, [email protected] by 11am on Friday 5 May 2023. Interviews will take place on the afternoon of Wednesday 10 May. All applicants must be available to begin part time work from mid-May.