UKinbound announced its Awards for Excellence winners at a star-studded event in Aberdeen last week, following a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic.
12 accolades were handed out, including the new Member’s Choice Award, to both organisations and individuals that had made a significant contribution to the continuing success of the inbound tourism sector. The winners were presented their awards by local radio personality Lauren Mitchell, in front of an audience of over 275 tourism and hospitality professionals.
Following self-nomination, 11 of the winners were decided by a panel of independent judges from across the tourism industry – Kurt Janson, Director, Tourism Alliance; Helen Bowron, Communications Director, Coach Tourism Association; and Dr Karen Thomas, Director, Tourism and Events Research Hub, Canterbury Christ Church University.
In contrast, UKinbound members had the opportunity to vote for the winner of the Member Choice Award, with four exceptional individuals making the shortlist.
Winners from the evening were:
- Tour Operator of the Year – Angela Shanley Associates
- Accommodation Provider of the Year – Lake District Country Hotels
- DMO of the Year – Visit Inverness Loch Ness
- Transport Provider of the Year – DFDS
- Service Provider of the Year: Professional Services – Strong Recruitment
- Service Provider of the Year: Technology – Vox Group
- Sustainable Tourism Provider of the Year – Dalata Hotels
- OTA of the Year – GetYourGuide
- Individual Attraction of the Year – Mercat Tours & The Beatles Story
- Sightseeing Operator of the Year – Brigit’s Bakery and Afternoon Tea Bus Tours
- Members Choice Award – Rob Way, The Tourism Media Group
- Chairman’s Award – Rebecca Brooks, Abbey UK
Joss Croft, CEO of UKinbound said, “We are delighted to be back hosting our Annual Awards for Excellence Gala Dinner, celebrating the achievements of this fantastic industry. Each and every winner has worked incredibly hard over the last 12 months and these awards celebrate their significant contributions to the continuing success of the inbound tourism sector.”
The Awards for Excellence were presented during the association’s Annual Convention which took place at P&J Live in Aberdeen on Wednesday 28 and Thursday 29 September. The event featured an influential line-up of speakers including broadcaster, entrepreneur and blind traveller Amar Latif; Ivan McKee MSP, Minister for Business, Trade, Tourism and Enterprise; and Patricia Yates, CEO, VisitBritain.