BREXIT AND TOURISM
The United Kingdom has been granted an extension by the European Union (EU) to remain in the EU until 31 October 2019 with the option to leave before this date. Until the withdrawal agreement is ratified by the UK Parliament, the default scenario is that the UK will leave without a Deal.
For information about how to get your business ready for Brexit, please click here. The latest guidance for inbound travellers to the UK can be found here. UKinbound has also published a briefing paper on the likely impact of a No Deal Brexit here.
UKinbound in partnership with other industry associations will continue to work hard with the UK Government and through the Tourism Industry Council to try and secure the best possible outcome for the inbound travel and tourism industry (Deal or No Deal) which relies heavily on the EU not only for its workforce but also for its visitors to the UK. Our key priorities for the industry have been (and will continue to be):
- Strong promotion of the UK as a welcoming destination;
- Visa free access for EU visitors;
- Continued access to the Single Market, Customs Union, Open Skies Agreement; and
- Protection for EU workers.
On 19 June 2018 we launched a Brexit campaign that saw a major programme of Government and parliamentary engagement over the summer. The key aims of of the campaign were:
- to raise awareness of the importance of the inbound tourism industry to the UK economy
- to demonstrate the urgent need to prioritise the inbound tourism industry in the Brexit negotiations
- to press for clarification from Government about the arrangements for access to the UK for both EU tourists and EU tourism workers post-Brexit.
We hosted three activities on 19 June including a mass lobby of Parliament and a Parliamentary Reception. Click here to find out more.
The Association will also be launching new research on the impact of Brexit on the UK tourism workforce and more details will be available shortly.
Members seeking further information are welcome to contact UKinbound’s Head of Public Affairs firstname.lastname@example.org