COVID-19 and Insurance

I’m having problems with my insurance company.  Where can I get help?

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) has set up the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) – an independent body to provide arbitration for insurance claims of smaller businesses (with turnover of less than £6.5m and fewer than 50 employees). The decision of the FOS is binding on insurers up to £350,000. To take your complaint directly to the FOS, please contact: 

The Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR.  Telephone: 0300 123 9123 or email [email protected]

As part of its investigation into Coronavirus related business interruption insurance, the FCA have published draft guidance on their expectations for insurers and insurance intermediaries when handling claims and complaints for business interruption policies during the test case.

In addition, they have provided an update on where they are in terms of their legal case.

Read more…

CMA launches a programme of work to investigate cancellation rights